If David Caruso is your favorite CSI: Miami star, this post is for you. Here is some info about his biography and films he acted in. Would you add something to this list? Let me know in the comment.
- His obvious trademarks are deep voice, pale skin, puffy-eyed face and carrot-red hair.
- A hugely popular item in the 1990s as a result of a smash crime series.
- His collaborators from the innovative cop series were not unhappy when he left after the first season and the show prospered quite well after that loss.
- Crossover from TV to film can be tricky and it caused for him getting bad judgment and unemployment after some poor movies which led him to the small screen and made him a humbler man. Not many are given a second chance but David was lucky enough to get it.
- Born in Forest Hills, Queens, New York as the son of Charles and Joan Caruso.
- Attended Our Lady Queen of Martyrs elementary and middle school and Archbishop Molloy High School.
- After high school in 1974, he toyed with some commercial work. His first acting appearances were in: Getting Wasted (1980)Without Warning (1980)An officer and a gentleman (1982), First blood (1982), Thief of Hearts (1984), Blue city (1986), China girl (1987)Twins (1988).
- The break into TV stardom proved elusive. People kept saying that a thin and lanky man was not handsome enough to lead in the film and didn’t have the charisma needed to carry a big movie.
- Making a debut in an episode of “Ryan’s Hope”, TV proved police stories seemed to be the name of the game for him.
- He had a gang leader role on Hill Street Blues (1981) and showed to good advantage in the series Crime Story (1986).This gave him the way to some stronger stuff like for example King of New York (1990) and Mad Dog and Glory (1993). But his star-making role came via portrayal of Detective John Kelly in NYPD Blue (1993).
- Instant fame made David moody, demanding and difficult on the set, and caused that he was quickly alienating not only his co-stars but the show’s directors and writers.
- He didn’t waste time in scouting out movie vehicles for himself. Again, he focused on crime thrillers. Kiss of death (1995) did not go over well box-office-wise despite its good reviews, and Jade (1995) was a grisly, unappetizing thriller that was given the thumbs down.
- With no movie releases at all in 1996, by the time Cold Around the Heart (1997) was released, the TV star had lost all of his movie star momenta.
- In 1997, he made an inauspicious return to the small screen as Michael Hayes, a law series, but it was a very short-lived experience.
- After lack of offers, he returned to supporting others in films such as Russell Crowe in Proof of life (2000) and copped a couple of leads in films like Session 9 (2001) and Black Point (2002).
- But in 2002, he found TV magic as Lt. Horatio Caine in the series CSI: Miami (2002). Caruso has earned cult fame for his slick demeanor and deliberately slow speech patterns.
- He has been the subject of much late-nite parody and satire shows being known for dry tones and parade of droll one-liners.
- A difficult interviewee who has admitted to keeping his monumental ego in check since his return to TV.
- Married and divorced thrice, has 3 children a daughter called Greta with Rachel Ticotin, a daughter Paloma Raquel and a son Marquez Anthony with Liza Marquez
- Caruso was a co-owner of a clothing and furniture store in Miami, Florida.